Cachupa is a peasant dish made with leftovers. It is straightforward to prepare and delicious. Here is the original Cape Verdean recipe.
- 4 boneless chicken thighs
- 1 stick chorizo
- 4 boneless pork spare ribs
- Beef stew meat of 1 kilogram
- 1 can of tomatoes
- 2 cans of red kidney beans
- 2 cans of yellow hominy
- 1 carrot, sliced
- 2 sweet potatoes
- 6 cloves garlic, chopped
- 1 yellow onion, chopped
- Olive oil
- Red chili powder
- Pour three to four tablespoons of olive oil into the cooking pot and saute the onion and garlic.
- Add tomatoes, seasonings, and large pieces of meat.
- Stir well, then add water to cover all the ingredients.
- Add the vegetables, along with the beans and corn (hominy), then stir to combine all the ingredients.
- Cover and simmer for at least two hours, until the stew reaches the desired consistency; if you want thicker, the cooking time is about three and a half hours.
- Serve with slices of sautéed chorizo. Enjoy!