Okra, called bamya in Egyptian Arabic, is a popular vegetable in Egypt. It is prepared as a stew with meat or as a vegetable dish, as in this recipe, where frozen okra is used.
- 1 tablespoon of butter
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 1 green pepper, chopped
- 5 cloves garlic, minced
- 2 ½ cups chicken stock
- 3 tablespoons tomato paste
- 1-kilogram frozen okra
- 1 lemon, juiced
- 1 pinch of salt and pepper to taste
- Heat the butter in a pot over high heat and cook the onion, pepper, and garlic until lightly colored about 2 minutes.
- Add chicken stock and tomato paste.
- Stir to combine. Reduce heat to medium.
- Add the okra and lemon juice and cook until the okra is soft, about 15 minutes—season with salt and pepper.