A delicious East African tomato and onion salad popular in Kenya and Tanzania – spicy, simple and delicious
This salad is an absolute riot of colors once you lock eyes; you can’t help but fall in love.
- 2 tomatoes, diced
- 1/2 large red onion, diced
- 1-2 jalapeño peppers, seeded, diced
- 1 medium cucumber, diced
- 1-2 minced garlic
- Juice from 1 lime
- Chopped fresh cilantro or parsley
- Salt and black pepper to taste
- 2 beef tomatoes, thickly sliced
- 1-2 Mashed avocados add lime to keep the color
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- ¼ cups of olive oil
- 2 tablespoons freshly squeezed lemon juice
- 2 tablespoons balsamic vinegar
- 1 tablespoon honey
- 2 tablespoons chopped fresh parsley and basil
- Salt and fresh ground black pepper to taste
- Combine ingredients; tomatoes, onion, cucumber, jalapeño, lime, and herbs. Season with salt and pepper
- Combine garlic, lemon juice, balsamic vinegar, olive oil, honey, salt pepper, herbs in a blender or screw-top jar and shake or process until well blended. Serve to dress with salad.
- Arrange the beef tomatoes on a plate, spread the mashed avocado over the tomatoes, and then garnish with kachumbari.
- Add more dressing if desired.