African Black Bean Soup: Spicy and cozy bean puree flavored with garlic, ginger, onion, and enriched with crabs for a superbly comfortable meal.
Energy value: 188 kcal
- 4-14.5 ounces of canned kidney beans or 1 pound of dry beans
- 1/2 – 3/4 cup palm or canola oil
- 1 medium onion
- 2 tomatoes
- 1 tablespoon of powdered broth
- ½ kilogram of smoked turkey/chicken
- 1 tablespoon of ginger
- ½ spoons of garlic
- 2-3 cups of stock/water
- 1 tablespoon of paprika
- salt and pepper as needed
- Rinse the dried black beans and collect and discard any foreign items
- Add the black beans to a large pot covering 3 to 4 inches of cold water.
- Cover and simmer overnight or 6 to 8 hours.
- Drain the soaked beans, rinse and place the beans in a casserole or stove.
- Follow the cooking instructions for the beans on the stove. You need about 8 to 12 minutes to cook. If you are not using a pressure cooker, cook the beans for about 1 to 1 1/2 hours until tender.
- Drain the cooked beans and set aside.
If you are using canned beans, you have to go from here.
- In a large saucepan over medium heat, heat the oil (palm and canola) to hot. Sauté the onion in the oil for 3-4 minutes, stirring often, and shake the bottom of the pan with the cut piece.
- Add tomato, ginger, garlic, paprika, Maggie soup, and cook, stirring, for about 60 seconds.
- Pass over the smoked meat and simmer, for about 15 minutes, add water/broth if necessary to avoid burns. Continue to cook the sauce, stirring occasionally.
- Finally, add the remaining beans and onion/water and bring to a boil and simmer until all the flavors are combined for about 15 minutes.
- Adjust the spices and serve.