About 70 domestic and international productions are screened at ZIFF each year, in addition to a dozen supplementary events like workshops, master courses, roundtable discussions, network events, panoramic screenings, and outreach screenings.
Typically, the event receives hundreds of visitors from outside Zanzibar and gives out 20 awards chosen by juries of business people. It’s been called the biggest cultural occasion in all of East Africa.
Priority will be given to movies with a theme of cross-cultural interactions, global cultural interaction, or sociocultural critique. The Zanzibar International Film Festival (ZIFF), one of the largest events honoring culture and history via the arts and films, has always been fantastic. For the past 24 years, the festival has developed into a symbol of memories for people, the organization, the country, movies, and the art world.
Juries comprising local and international business professionals bestow a number of awards with financial and/or service-based prizes.
• Entries may be fiction, documentary, animation, or experimental films in any medium, with any subject matter.
• Brief and animated (under 30 min)
• Dramatic length (over 60 min)
• Documentaries (shorts and feature length)
• TV Shows (30min or 45min maximum) (Only submit two episodes in a row.)
- Shorts for students (Short Films by Film Students)
• The works in question had to be created after January 2020.
• English subtitles are required for works (if the original language is not English).
• Incomplete submissions won’t be taken into account