Vanessa Bryant was just 37 years old when she tragically lost her husband, Kobe Bryant, and their 13-year-old daughter, Gia, during a fatal helicopter crash on Jan. 26, 2020.
Kobe Bryant‘s wife, Vanessa Bryant’s, heart likely shattered into 1,000,000 pieces on Jan. 26, when she learned that her husband, who is and can always be referred to as one among the best NBA players of all time, also as their 13-year-old daughter, Gia, died during a helicopter crash. Kobe, who was only 41 at the time of his death, was reportedly traveling with four people, including his daughter, Gia, at the time of the crash, consistent with TMZ. There have been no survivors. Fortunately, Vanessa wasn’t one among the people on the helicopter, but she is going to likely forever be heartbroken over this horrific tragedy. Want to understand more about her?
See the five facts below.
1. Despite her husband’s fame, Vanessa leads a somewhat private life. She has 1.9 million followers on Instagram, but her account is closed. She was born Vanessa Cornejo Urbieta on May 5, 1982.
2. Kobe and Vanessa got married in 2001. The NBA player once confessed that he met his wife in 1999. He was 21 years old at the time, and she or he was 17. consistent with E! True Hollywood Story, Kobe proposed to her six months after they met, and that they didn’t sign a prenuptial agreement.
Sources: Kobe Bryant was on his way to a travel basketball game with his daughter Gianna when the helicopter crashed. Those aboard the helicopter also included another player and parent.
— Adrian Wojnarowski (@wojespn) January 26, 2020
3. Their marriage also survived a sexual abuse lawsuit. Kobe was accused of raping a 19-year-old hotel worker in 2004. However, he said that the sexual encounter was consensual, and apologized for cheating on his wife. Sexual abuse charges were filed against the basketeer in September 2004, but the case was dropped three weeks after it had been filed because the lady didn’t want to proceed.
4. Vanessa filed for divorce from Kobe in 2011. She cited “irreconcilable differences” because the reason for the split, but in 2013, the couple announced that that they had called off their divorce, and that they remained married up until his death.
5. She and Kobe Bryant have four children together, and every one four are girls. Natalia Diamante was born in January 2003, Gianna Maria-Onore, who was within the helicopter with Kobe and died, was born in May 2006, Bianka Bella was born in Dec. 2016, and Capri Kobe was born in June 2019. At the time of his retirement in 2015, she released a press release saying, “I’m so excited to ascertain what God has future for us as a family now that one chapter is closing and new ones are opening.” Now, following the tragedy, it’s become a heartbreaking message.