It is a signatory soup to the people of Oyo state in Nigeria. The soup is eaten with a meal called “amala”. Gbegiri is rich in protein thanks to its main ingredient, “beans”. If you have never tried gbegiri or you are wondering how to make it, here is the recipe.
- Bean powder
- Pepper (fresh or dried)
- Iru (locust beans) if you take it
- Fresh or stock fish (optional)
- Salts and maggi
- Bitter leaf (optional)
- Palm oil
- Put a pot on a cooker and boil enough water for cooking.
- After boiling, add pepper and locust beans (Iru) and cook for about 5 minutes. Chop the onion and bitter leaf and set aside.
- Now pour the beans powder, stir, add salt, maggi, fish, other spices of your choice and stir. Cover the pot and cook for 5 minutes.
- Add palm oil, stir the mixture (if you use bitter leaves, sprinlke it and stir) cook for another 5 minutes and you have your Gbegiri.
- Serve with hot amala.