African okra soup with Kombo – Swala, also called “Swala” or “Mula Kombo ta Bamia,” is a specialty of the Kakwa tribe from Yei in South Sudan. It is a vegetarian soup, low in calories, and gluten-free.
- Okra, 2 cups okra cut into ¼ inch cross-sectional slices (don’t forget to cut and discard both end tips)
- ½ cup of chopped onions
- 2 tomatoes, diced
- kombo or ½ teaspoons of baking soda
- 1 tablespoon oil
- Table salt
- Water, 3-4 cups
- Put 1 cup of water in a pot.
- Saturate your kombo or add ½ teaspoons of baking soda.
- Add the chopped onion and cook over medium heat on the stove.
- Add the sliced okra. Add 2 cups of water.
- Cook for 15 minutes, until the okra pieces are soft.
- Add the tomatoes.
- Add 1 tablespoon of oil. Table salt to taste. Hot pepper is optional.
- Turn off the heat after 5 minutes. Then serve.