Muamba de Galinha gets its unique taste from red palm oil. This spicy ragout is delicious with cassava or served over rice.
- 1 lemon juiced
- 4 cloves garlic, crushed
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 1/2 teaspoons chili powder
- 1 whole chicken, cut into quarters
- 1/2 cup red palm oil
- 3 onions, diced
- 1 whole chili peppers
- 3 tomatoes, cut into quarters
- 1 pound of pumpkin cut into 1.5 inch cubes
- 1 cup chicken broth
- 1/2 pound of frozen okra
- Mix lemon juice, 2 cloves garlic, salt, and chili powder, rub the chicken and leave to marinate for an hour (or overnight).
- Heat the oil in a large pot. Brown chicken on all sides. Avoid overcrowding. Do this in several batches, if necessary.
- Add onion, remaining garlic, chili pepper, and tomatoes. Bring to a simmer and cover.
- Cook on low heat for about 1 hour or until chicken is tender.
- Add squash, chicken stock, and okra. Cook for 15 minutes or until softened. Serve hot.