Follow this recipe to make these spicy and delicious Ugandan curry potatoes serve as a dish for your next meal.
- 2 pounds of washed red potatoes, cut into 1-inch cubes and cook in salted water until almost but not quite tender (boil water, add potatoes, cook 4 minutes, drain, rinse with cold water)
- 4 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 1 large clove of garlic, minced
- ½ teaspoons ground turmeric
- 1½ cups of water
- ½ teaspoons ground cayenne
- 1/4 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- ½ teaspoons ground coriander
- 1 tablespoon tomato paste
- 2 teaspoons lemon juice
- 4 tablespoons chopped fresh parsley to taste
- In a large skillet, heat the oil over medium heat.
- Add the onions and sauté for 6 to 8 minutes.
- Add the garlic and cook for 30 seconds.
- Add turmeric, cayenne pepper, cinnamon, and coriander and mix well.
- Add the tomato paste and lemon juice and stir again to combine everything.
- Add the potatoes and about 1/4 teaspoons of salt and stir again; Add 11/2 cups of water.
- Cook uncovered for about 10 minutes or until the potatoes are completely soft and the juice in the pan is thick and covers the potatoes.
- Towards the end of cooking, add the parsley and mix well. Serve hot.