Gages are an excellent vegetable dish from Sierra Leone. Delicious marinated eggplant and tomato salad tossed with coconut and peanuts just before serving for an exotic crunch.
- 1 tablespoon butte
- 1 eggplant, peeled and thinly sliced
- 1 fresh red chili pepper, seeded and chopped
- 4 sliced tomatoes
- 1 red onion, sliced
- ¼ cups of vinegar
- 3 tablespoons vegetable oil
- ¼ A cup of unsweetened coconut flakes
- ¼ a cup of dried, roasted peanuts without salt
- Melt the butter in a large skillet over medium heat. Fry the eggplant in butter until lightly browned, stirring often. Remove from heat and allow to cool slightly.
- In a large bowl, combine the chili pepper, tomatoes, onion, and eggplant.
- Mix the vinegar and oil, pour over the vegetables and toss gently to coat.
- Cover and refrigerate for at least 3 hours or overnight—Toss salad with coconut and peanuts just before serving.