Matbucha (Mott-Boo-Chah) is a cooked tomato and a salad of roasted bell peppers popular in Morocco and throughout the Middle East.
The name Matbucha means “cooked salad” in Arabic. It is usually served as a side dish, but it also works well over fish.
- ¼ cups of extra virgin olive oil
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 5 each tomato, chopped
- 5 each green bell pepper, chopped
- 1 jalapeño pepper, chopped
- 1 teaspoon paprika
- 1 teaspoon ground black pepper
- 1 pinch of sea salt
- 1 lemon, juiced
- In a large skillet, heat the olive oil over medium heat. Stir in garlic, tomatoes, bell pepper, and jalapeño pepper—season with paprika, black pepper, and sea salt.
- Cook for 20 minutes, occasionally stirring, until vegetables are tender. Reduce heat to low, cover, and cook until liquid evaporates and salad thickens about 2 hours.
- Add lemon juice and refrigerate overnight before serving.