Sukuma wiki is a popular food recipe in south Sudan. Sukuma Wiki is a Swahili term that roughly translates as “Move the week along,” as this family meal should spend the week until the weekend.
- 1 medium yellow onion
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 3 medium ripe heirloom tomatoes
- 2 medium red bell peppers
- 1/2 teaspoon black pepper
- 1/2 teaspoon kosher salt
- In a large skillet, heat the olive oil. Add the onions and cook for 5 to 7 minutes or until tender.
- Add the garlic and cook for another minute.
- Add peppers and tomatoes and cook for 10 minutes. Stir in salt and pepper.
- Add the kale and saute, occasionally stirring, for even cooking.
- Cover and cook for 10 minutes or until greens are wilted.