Sweet Potato and Pea Recipe (Irio) is a classic Kenyan dish that is a hearty combination of porridge sweet potatoes, peas, corn, and sometimes spinach. In this article, you would learn how to prepare the Kenyan dish irrespective of your place of residence plus video tutorials to help.
- 2-3 pounds of sweet potatoes with regular potatoes
- 2-3 tablespoons (28.4 g – 42.6 g) of canola butter or oil
- 1 teaspoon (5 g) chopped garlic
- ¼ cup (40 g) chopped onion
- ½ cup or more (87.5 g) of blanched corn
- ½ cup or more (87.5 g) of blanched peas
- ½ teaspoon (1.05 g) of pepper
- 1 tablespoon (3.8 g) parsley
- ½ teaspoon (6.5 g) optional hot pepper or cayenne pepper sauce
- Salt to taste
- Preheat the oven to 400 degrees and Clean and dry sweet potatoes, drill holes in sweet potatoes, microwave, and cook for about 4 minutes.
- Wrap and place in the oven to bake for about 20 minutes or until cooked through.
- Add 2 tablespoons of oil/butter to the pan, whisk the onions, then add the garlic, salt, pepper, and hot sauce, simmering for about a minute.
- Add the potatoes, then coat them with potato butter or sift richer. Add corn, peas, and parsley. Adjust for salt and pepper.
- Serve hot.
- You can replace sweet potatoes with regular potatoes.
- The primary ingredients of this recipe are potatoes, peas, and corn. You can add or omit ingredients from the list to your liking.